Wednesday 18 August 2010

My Business Time Table

Time Management  Inspired by my Daughter!

It amazes me how much my daughter learns at school. It also amazes me at how much holiday she gets! Which led me to think she probably spends more time on holiday than she does at school!



Yet, she gets so much done. This got me thinking. If she and her classmates spend such little time at school how come they are able to learn so much and do so much at school?

Then it hit me. They have a school time table which they stick to. The teachers and the children know what lessons they are doing and when. Every day is mapped out on the school time table which includes breaks and lunch time. 

I loved this idea - it was so simple and yet so effective! So I decided to create a business time table for my daily tasks. 

I spent some time planning the layout and I now have the perfect template for my Business Time Table. It even has breaks and lunch time which for me is great because I never, ever took morning or afternoon breaks. In fact, it's still tricky to stick to, as here I am at 11pm writing this blog post! 

How do you manage your time? Do you end up getting distracted by the events of the day? Checking your email too often and feeling you have to respond right away? Do you find the incoming phone calls distract and take you off on a different tangent?
 

Don't let these day to day events distract you. Don't be reactive - instead get proactive on your business. When you're working on a particular blog post or article then close all the other applications on your computer. This will really help you focus. 

I also use a wonderful online timer at www.online-stopwatch.com. I set a certain chuck of time to a task and when the alarm bell rings I stop what I'm doing and move on to the next thing. Just like a bell at the end of lesson at school. But no, I don't scramble to put all my books away and rush to my next class! However, it could be a bit of fun to run out of my office and then back in again!

Start using a time table for your business and begin controlling the things you need to focus on.

And if you would like a copy of my Business Time Table template please email me at info@dickiearmour.me.uk and I'll be glad to send it to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment